Friday, August 7, 2009

Just make the darn thing already!

Today after work I finally got the gumption up to cut the pieces for my redingote. So I sewed a toile for the bodice part and so far, so good. I used my pattern blocks to trace the basic shape, then restyled the neckline and centerfront seam. Pinned it together, put it on and low and behold.....it actually fit. A few adjustments at the seams and it fits like a secondskin. Surely making a pattern from scratch couldn't be this easy? Well yes it is except....when you keep changing your mind about the style of coat you are making.

Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion book for this era has many coats, and all of them have peplums. Not a problem, I like the way they look anyway so there I go. Well not exactly....For one, drafting the pieces for the peplums is new to me. And I'm fundamentally lazy and it looks tricky and I'd really like to just get it done..and...you get the drift. Then I go back to my blog and the coats there all have cartridge pleated skirts which I also like and possibly like even more because it's a technique I'm more confident with ...excuses...excuses....excuses.

In the meantime I'm getting another decade older.

No comments:

Post a Comment