Thursday, July 16, 2009

So what's a Redingote anyway?

To put it simply it's a form of everyday dress that took it's style from riding jackets. It only came into popularity in the very late 18th century, when all things "simple" and "pastoral" were in style. Just which shepardesses attended their flocks in hats adorned with ostrich feathers we will never know. Don't you love rich people's idea of simplicity?

From the scant Google search I've performed I've come across two primary styles of Redingote. The open and closed styles. While the open style which proudly displays the lady's petticoats is infinately easier to find pics of, I'm preferring to go for the latter. Here's a very close approximation of one...



And here is a cute little fashion plate of the times proudly showing the lady's Redingote buttoned up to the floor.



Call me lazy but I kind of see a closed style Redingote as a precursor to a full gown and perhaps even something I could get away with wearing as a dress. While most Redingote recreations are made in the obligatory navy or forest green I've decided to really push the boundaries and lash out in raspberry worsted. It will be lined in a further outburst of outrageousness with a brown, pink and raspberry paisley lawn. I know what you're thinking....whoa! Hold back a little the world just isn't ready for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment