Monday, August 10, 2009

The Fabulous Hat Work Of Lynn McMasters - Yes! I'm tempted

Well no 1780's/90's outfit would be complete without an absolutely enormous and ridiculously proportioned hat....a la the Gainsborough hat. See inspiration pic.



And I just would not be satisfied unless I attempted one myself. I'm not a stranger to hat wearing by any means. My entire goth years saw me wearing a rather special Victorian black felt riding hat every chance I got and I have to say I'm embarrassed that I now cannot recall what happened to that fabulous hat. No matter....

Because the very talented and rather famous historical hat diva Lynn McMasters has created not only a pattern for a Gainsborough style hat, but she also has one for my beloved lost hat style as well. Yes I know considering a hat before I've even finished a petticoat is topsy, turvy and a bit screwed by my defence is....we don't get to choose what we love.

I'm purchasing her pattern for the 1790's silk covered riding hat. Gorgeous and very similar to the hat I used to own, so I know it looks fetching on me. And the Early 20th century round brimmed hat, Edwardian but almost identical to the Gainsborough hat above. It's a style that's been recycled a few times in history. I'm thinking about making my enormous hat out of Duchess Satin in a sage green to match my new jacket. With blue and white Ostrich feathers....yummo!

There's a link to Lynns Hat Patterns under my Sewing Resources links on the right, since I can't get URL links to work in my posts.

4 comments:

  1. Hat making looks so fun. But I suspect there's a LOT of hard work behind. I look forward to see what you make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather suspect the same but am choosing to remain blissfully ignorant otherwise I may be too scared to attempt it...Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Comments are back! And so is your blog which has been disappearing a lot lately! Anyway, I love the jacket. That fit is just perfect!

    And I want a big hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the infamous here again, gone again blog. Blame it on me playing around with settings when I don't really know what they are for...oops!

    ReplyDelete