Saturday, June 13, 2009

Back To The Jacket


The fact that it's winter here right now naturally leads me to believe a jacket might be a good first clothing project. At first I thought a mid century jacket would be nice. But after doing some research I realised that earlier century jackets, just like the gowns, were all built around a stomacher. 

For those not in the know, a stomacher was a boned piece of fabric that was fastened in the front of clothing to cover the gap left by the side pieces. And if you're thinking it sounds complicated and a bit s**t, then you're on my page. 

As much as I love history I also love clothing that's a little easier to wear than that. Fast forward to 1780's and beyond where 18th century folk learned the joys of clothing which buttons up the front. So now I'm making a 1780's jacket complete with side panels that meet in the middle, just like the cutie above. It's sweet, it's a classic and I may even be able to wear it outside of the realms of a costume convention. 

I'm loving the buttercup yellow and if I can find buttercup linen, wool or heavy weight silk I'll be on it like a fly at a bbq. Failing that I have one other idea that's best to remain a secret for the time being. To be honest I'm not quite sure yet whether my idea is pure genius or a terrible mistake so I'd rather not own up to it until I know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment