Friday, September 4, 2009

It's official, I am done!


It's official the petti is now complete including all handstitching and so forth. It's a real garment. So what are my thoughts on that project....

Best Beginners Project- No pattern involved just pleat two large rectangles of fabric onto two long strips of fabric, sew up the side seams and you're done. Wish I'd made this first. All in all a full length petticoat including miles of trim took 2.5m of 140cm wide fabric. Use the full width of your fabric and cut it as long as you need it. If your fabric is only 112cm wide then you may need to make panels to get the necessary fullness. Total cost $24, made with silk voile and lined with rayon.

Comfort Rating - 5 Stars Although it's quite heavy to hang and handle (which surprised me given how light the fabrics were) it's supremely comfortable to wear. Unlike wrap around skirts which constantly need retying and adjusting, this skirt goes on and sits where it's supposed to. I like wearing it and would definately make more of these little babies, another one has just been added to my project list. I won't be wearing 18th C pockets so only left a 4" gap at the sides for getting the petti on and off and it doesn't gape there at all.

Usability- There is no end to the uses for this item. I think it's got to be the quickest and easiest way to extend an 18th C wardrobe, just make more of them in various colours to co-ordinate with existing pieces. Simple. I got quite a lot of poof with this petti even though the fabric has practically no body and a very soft drape. If I wanted to go full-on 1780's I think only the addition of a slightly stiffer petti underneath would do the trick.

Caution- Do not make one if you intend to have small looking hips, this skirt will not do that for you. But on the plus side, it automatically reduces the relative size of your waist.

Cheats- Because we all love a good shortcut. If you plan on putting a flounce on your petti and your petti will either be lined like mine or you will wear another petti underneath, then just cut one [flounce] twice the desired width, fold it in half and sew that to bottom of your hem. It will save you from having to hem the petti, which I have to say could wipe days off your project. But the caveat here is that you will need a liner in the petti so the flounce sits out rather than hanging limply and looking like a refugee from a bed valance.

If time is an issue do not trim the petti at all. Many cotton pettis were not trimmed, rather leaning towards the simpler style which would soon come into vogue. Instead choose a beautiful self strip or patterned fabric and make it plain. The trim added 3 full days of sewing onto this project because of the huge-mongous hems which had to be handsewn.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the petti looks very flouncy and pretty. I want to see a full length picture so I can drool some more :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto that! The colour is looking lush as ever, and now nice and bouncy and floaty! Great tips, too - I shall remember for when it's my turn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lithia and Clare. Yes full length photos just as soon as I can figure out how to use the self timer on my camera. I have no full length mirror in my home. Yes another thing to buy next trip to Ikea...

    ReplyDelete