Sunday, August 30, 2009

Perfect In Its Simplicity

It's always difficult to recreate a portrait dress, mostly because the artist finds it so much easier to make a gown becoming with paint then we do with fabric. But if ever I were inspired to reproduce a portrait outfit it would have to be this little cutie...



I've always had a thing for 18th century shepherdesses and even more so faux 18th century shepherdesses. I mean honestly, would you trample through a muddy paddock in those shoes? That aside this ensemble looks not only delightful but it's simplicity is perfection as well. It looks as if she might get out once in a while (in between languishing upon overstuffed chaises). I suppose in 18th Century terms this could be sportswear.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow - this is so pretty! Simple and perfect and lovely. Great find! I'm trying to work out the colours beneath the yellowing - is it grey and pink or a greyish-blue and pink? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love copying dresses from paintings - somehow knowing that the artist probably took artistic licenses really frees me up to do the same, so that the dress is appealing on paper and in the flesh. Impressionist dresses are particularly fun :-D

    I think that one of the traps that costumers fall into, particularly with fashion plates, is trying to copy them too exactly. If you look at the fashion plates for Worth dresses, or Lanvin, or Poiret, and then the actual dress made from them, you see that the designers felt free to alter their initial designs once they got actual fabric in their hands.

    That dress in the painting is just swoon worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare, I think it might actually be dove grey silk shot with pink. In the folds you can see the same pink as the trim. Changeable (or shot) silk was popular back then apparently. I personally wouldn't make it in those colours, a little drab for me.

    ReplyDelete