Friday, August 28, 2009

If I'd Just Done My Research



I would have discovered (before I cut my lengths and locked in my hem allowance) that most hems from this era were done either one of two ways. Embroidered if it were a plain muslin or hemmed with a half inch hem allowance. Instead I made life hard on myself and jumped right into our modern treatment of such fabrics, the rolled edge. Which I have to say is probably lovely if you have a machine do it for you and a real bitch if you are doing it by hand.

But I did get the skirt hem completed today which only leaves the miles and miles of flounce hems to go. My consolation is that I will marvel at my rolled hems every time I wear this petticoat. I am also now unusually motivated to hand wash this garment, not wanting to wear the fabric out too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment