Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Jacket Monster

Well I gave into the lure of the sewing machine after too many hours of not being to handsew a buttonhole that resembled a buttonhole. And while I'm ecstatic about how my jacket looks with stays, fully done up and heaps of cute buttons, the buttonholes still leave something to be desired. In fact they are so embarassing that I simply refuse to post pics of them. I'm confident they are salvagable just not today and in my present mood. I will take the The Dreamstress' idea of oversewing them by hand to give a better look.

Why is it that a project looks like finishing then comes to a grinding halt? Sigh....I have decided now to put the jacket aside and move onto the rest of the ensemble trusting that inspiration will strike soon enough and the buttonholes will resolve themselves in good time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what fabric you are using, but you may want to consider putting a stiffening on the back of the button holes, or under the facing. You can use tight-weave linen scraps for this.
    It may help your button-holes keep their shape better.

    I'll post another tutorial on hand-sewn button holes & eyelets either this week or next week... seems to be a common problem this month.

    -Gail-

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fabric is a light weight cotton faced with a tight weave canvas for stiffening. It's not that they are pulling out of shape it's that I do not like the appearance of the stitching.

    ReplyDelete