Monday, August 31, 2009

Just Wow!

Ok so it's no secret I'm not fond of my current pair of stays and will shortly design and make my own version of 18th century stays from scratch. Designed with ease of wearing and prettiness in mind. And when I do such things I like to scour the net for anything I haven't seen before, even other costumers renditions of comfortable stays because you know why reinvent the wheel?

In my journey I came across this...



It looks very modern. In fact if I didn't know better I'd swear it was Victorian or even someone's interesting current creation. It certainly does not look almost 400 years old. I almost fell off my chair to discover it's dated around 1640! The hip gores in particular are interesting to me because those historical little tabs on 18th century stays are pure evil to bind. I'm also loving the huge eyelets which are apparently handsewn and the whole silhouette is rather interesting. I just wish there were side and back views.

You can find this little gem at the Manchester Art Gallery here

8 comments:

  1. Those are stunning!

    I notice the tabs are still bound, and then the gores are added. Doesn't look that much easier :-P

    There is a similar pair, in pink, at the V&A. It's on the front cover of Historical Fashion in Detail. And they have sleeves! and a great back view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. WOW. WOW! Absolutely gorgeous. My mouth is watering at those colours and that wonderful shape!

    Really interesting find - I'm starting to get into 17th Century - I blame Alexandre Dumas and Angelique!

    By the way, when I move house I won't be so far from Manchester (and I have friends there) - I'll have to check out the museum and will try to get pics if it's on display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a brilliant idea Clare. Yes I'm starting to venture beyond the good old 18th C. Lets hope I don't before I get at least a few outfits done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *drools on the keybord* Oh, wow it's truly stunning. It's a bit funny I was thinking of my "dream" pair of stays today and I decided that I want a red pair. And now you show me these ones. Interesting coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are correct, the stays are absolutely beautiful. I currently making a pair 18th strapless stays. This picture makes me want to start all over again. Thanks for sharing.
    I have been lurking for awhile, I find that your post are most inspiring.

    Thank you,
    Pren

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more I look at this pair, the more I am drawn to stomacher, front lacing stays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been drooling over that one for years! It's spectacular!

    ReplyDelete